Wednesday

"Keep Holding On" by Avril Lavigne from Eragon soundtrack

Yikes.

That's my thought as I listen to this song, and that's "yikes" in an "ouch" way. Moments make me really like how she sings, a few moments make me wince. Are you not aware of the words you're singing? I can't help but wonder when she sings with evidently so little emotion lines that should be some stronger. Picture "No, I won't give in" sung as passionlessly as if she's just sharing some information with the listener.

Her voice is a bit nasal, like is more common for country. Considering some of the other mixes I like, I'm not going to count off for an "odd" combination. In this count, they're culturally-based.

Musicwise, it's really average. In fact, it it gives me the distinct vague feeling I've heard this song many times before, though I know I haven't. (I'm a visual/kinesthetic learner; I'll randomly find myself singing along with a song I haven't heard in 10 years and can't remember where I know it from, but I'm still aware that I know it, somehow.)

The lyrics could be the perfect song for Eragon that they were intended to be had they been sung differently. (I'm speaking as someone who's only read the book.) Perfect song for Eragon, perhaps, but excellent in general, I'm not so sure of. What I do know is I don't want to hear this on the radio.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 1/5
Overall: 3/10

6 comments:

  1. Couldnt agree more with that, very attractive article

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you people have a facebook fan page? I looked for one on twitter but could not discover one, I would really like to become a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice site, nice and easy on the eyes and great content too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all. I'm glad you find the content and site design to your liking. I worked hard on it!

    No Facebook fan page, unfortunately. Facebook likes crashing my old laptop.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you could e-mail me with a few suggestions on just how you made your blog look this excellent, I would be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would require an e-mail for me to e-mail you suggestions, but I frankly took Blogger's Simple blog template, started building with the Template Designer, then copied everything and made further modifications by hand.

    I also made the background images, got some non-standard fonts through Kernest, and tried to size the fonts so the text would fall on the G-cleft lines. :-)

    ReplyDelete