Friday

"Sorrow" by Flyleaf from Flyleaf

"We kiss each other one more time and sing this lie that's halfway mine…"

This song—like many of Flyleaf's, unfortunately—personifies what bothers me and many other Christians about Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). Christian bands make ambiguous lyrics that could be referring to God or a lover. (I have heard people call that an asset, but for a Christian it's downright irreverent.)

People interpret the lyrics of "Sorrow" in several ways to comfort in different situations. That ability to nail emotions I do consider a strength of Flyleaf's. The interpretation that suits the lyrics as a whole defines the song narrator as a woman who's struggled and fallen with abstinence. Bluntly: she had sex outside of marriage and now regrets it. ("I won't be fooled by his angel light" is a reference to resisting the wiles of Satan, who was the angel of light.)

Lacey sings in her usual characteristic style that I personally don't have anything to compare it with, but… What's with screaming "Joy will come!"? And the music's melding grates on the ear. Something about it sounds… off.

Eh, it could've been worse. It's really kinda normal for CCM.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 6/10

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you dont really know what Flyleaf is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaborating would be helpful. Otherwise your comment doesn't help me any. :-)

    Has Flyleaf declared another interpretation to this song? If so, I've not found it in my research.

    If you're referring to the vague God/lover thing, of course Flyleaf is doing that intentionally, but in my book it's a weakness. That it enables the band to reach the greatest number of people is debatable because the brings the question of what the band is reaching the people with that's any different from what they're already getting? And some people prefer avoiding those kinds of songs.

    I'm not claiming to know all about each band; I'm just claiming to be some help on individual songs for people to know if there's anything in it that they might want to avoid subjecting themselves to.

    So please clarify if you happen to make another visit, so I can improve. :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete