Monday

"Psalm 73 (My God's Enough)" by BarlowGirl from Another Journal Entry

"I've had enough of living life for only me, and reaching just for the things that keep destroying me!"

I can't count how many times I've thanked God for this song over the past few weeks. Chock-full of Scriptural encouragement, it's a rock rendition of Psalm 73. The narrator envies people in the world around him, but then he is reminded that "in the end, only You have what I need" (quote from song).

That's the point of Psalm 73, and BarlowGirl keeps that focus, but it also pulls the psalm's applicability to more than envy. The advice that "This world has nothing that I need!" can apply to anything the believer wants so badly that she forgets what she's supposed to be focused on. (And I'm scolding myself with that one.)

The Barlow sisters reveal their usual flair for melding their music and voices together nicely in this one, on the harder end of their songs. It's a rock with a bit more flavor than most.

I don't find this the most memorable of their songs—some of them, the chords strike me as downright haunting—but "Psalm 73 (My God's Enough)" is definitely striking.

For an encouraging Christian rock song, definitely give it a listen. If either the Christian or the rock aspect bother you, find something else.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 8/10

5 comments:

  1. I don't listen to that much Christian music, but I plan to try this one. I really enjoy this blog. I hope it will get an update sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *smiles* Thank you, Robin!

    I'll try to get back to a regular update schedule by the end of this month. How's that sound?

    *whispers* I don't listen to much Christian music, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, update whenever it's best for you. :) I'll be happy just as long as this blog isn't abandoned! I'll look forward to your future reviews in the meantime.

    (I know this is a late response, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your response is late? What about mine? XD

    Okay, so the April deadline didn't work due to some emergency surgery, then the surgeon poisoned me (how many times do I have to say I'm allergic to Lortab before he actually changes my prescription?), and then my cut got severely infected, and now I'm losing weight without cause. Yay.

    At the moment, I'm working on compiling all my previous articles to review what I've already reviewed and have that in an easily-searchable (and accessible) format.

    If you have any suggestions for artists/songs you'd like me to check out, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that Christian rock has been called an oxymoron, mainly because rock music is often associated with themes that are antithetical to the teachings of Christianity, a reason why "many fundamentalist religious groups and denominations decry rock music in general

    ReplyDelete