Tuesday

"Never Again" by Kelly Clarkson from My December

Well, once again I'm a bit surprised at liking a Kelly Clarkson song—not from the title or bitter theme, but from the vengeful aspect that thankfully is referred to without crass language. ("I hope, when you're in bed with her, you think of me.")

That's one thing I like about what songs I've heard from Kelly Clarkson; clean language. Admittedly, "Never Again" does use "Bet it sucks" in the chorus, but not everyone considers that crude. Kelly's been burned by a two-timing boyfriend and sings this as a refusal to accept him back and as a warning to those who do accept him. ("He'll be through with you!")

Kelly's voice well manages the repeated shifts between loud and soft anger. She obviously knows how to sing and has a pleasing voice, but it's not exactly a "wow"er. (Unless, of course, you're comparing her to the people who don't know how to sing.)

She calls "Never Again" probably the most bitter song she's written; sometimes you just want something to yell along with. That this is more of an angry moment than one in a series of angry songs I consider a plus, but it still leaves me repeating a lot of others when I say I'm glad I'm not on her bad side—at least I hope not, since she doesn't know I exist.

Unfortunately, I can't say I like her choice of lyrics much. It's some nice imagery with the "Sunday School answer" and "trophy wife," but it strikes me as perhaps a bit disjointed. Granted, she's angry, and anger tends to produce less-than-ideal wordings, but… You're free to disagree with me on that one.

Also as usual is the average music backing Kelly Clarkson's song. I wouldn't mind if I happened to hear this song on the radio, and I'd be willing to look up more songs from My December to check 'em out, but buy the album in a few weeks? If I had enough extra money to splurge on that, I'd be donating to the missionaries I know.

An added dislike is the music video. It is pretty interesting, but I know my father (or brother) wouldn't let me outside in what she wears for much of it, and there's a reason for that.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment