Friday

"My Last Breath" by Evanescence from Fallen

"Can you hear me? Can you feel me in your arms / holding my last breath…"

One thing I really like about Evanescence's 2003 album Fallen are all these fun little stories from the perspective of someone dying in a tragedy. (I know, I know—I'm morbid.) I even used the "fade to black" to entitle a fan fiction I wrote taking place in the Jedi Purges. This song's narrator is being held by her lover (in the traditional sense) who's weeping as she dies.

The music style definitely requires you to like rock or metal, but it's lovely despite the synthesis (unless you can't stand the electronic style instruments). Reverberating synthesis mixes with "clean" orchestral to produce a song that'll stick with you.

Which is why, if you find "dark" songs depressing, I strongly advise you not to listen to this song. If, like me, they don't affect your emotional health and you don't mind things like electronic guitar, I suggest you listen.

Amy Lee sings on her better end here, too, though it could've been a tad louder to stand out a bit more. That probably would've improved it, but it's still a very strong song. I was entranced by it the first time I heard it.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 9/10

30-Second Song Preview:

No comments:

Post a Comment