Wednesday

"Secret Number 486" by Younha from The Perfect Day to Say I Love You

It was only a matter of time, I guess, before I found a foreign singer who sang in foreign languages—in this case, Korean and Japanese. Younha mixes a bit of English in some of her songs; this song uses the line, "You're my secret boy."

The album name and song title are therefore translated up above. I understand that "Secret Number 486" is the official English name, though more commonly people seem to call it "Password 486". The album, her premier one in Korea (though Korean, she's previously released in Japan), has a title that's more literally translated "Good Day to Confess".

The song basically gives a boyfriend advice about making his girlfriend happy. "Guys aren't as fragile as girls," Younha says (in Korean), warning that girls really don't like being surprised by their boyfriends without a chance to put on their makeup. (…I guess that's how most girls think; I don't wear makeup anyway, myself.)

There's also an acknowledgement that she "hope"s he's worth something, though he might not be (or so she implies). So the lyrics end up only slightly silly despite the request for 4 "I love you"s, 8 laughs, and 6 kisses a day.

K-pop is specifically South Korean popular music, which at this time is pretty much pop. Younha has a bit of a piano-based rock touch, too. Her voice suits nicely, and her pronunciation of English (not her first language) sounds natural and native when she does use the rare phrase. (I can't speak for her Korean, but I'll assume so, since that is her first language.)

Overall, the song's pretty normal pop (though thankfully not quite as silly or stupid as a lot of it), but it's in Korean. Nonetheless, if you like pop, you'll probably like it.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment