Monday

"Million Voices" by BarlowGirl from How Can We Be Silent

My eyes spring wide open. The Barlow sisters are playing with genre and song speed in "Million Voices". The vocals are undeniably the three sisters, but…

I struggle to link this music style to anything I've previously heard from BarlowGirl and my mind keeps recalling Within Temptation's "Frozen", with occassional remembrances of "What Have You Done" and something else nagging at my memory that I can't isolate, though I want to say Nightwish's She Is My Sin". Oh, and a touch of Flyleaf.

In other words, this song makes me think more of metal than rock. And is it a wower! I'll readily admit, whichever sister is lead singer, I kinda like her sisters' voices a little more, but she sings maturely and strongly. The sisters take advantage of the three separate voices to give the song a beauty lacking in many standard rock songs.

Add the involved tempo switches, intricately mixed electric guitar and drums, and it's a refreshing demonstration that BarlowGirl can flex its musical skill into other genres when it has a mind to it, as they've done in the album How Can We Be Silent. But if you don't like electric guitar, you will not like this song.

"We're a million strong, and getting stronger still. They'll remember we were here! With the million voices breaking silence 'till they'll remember we were here."

What are they talking about? BarlowGirl (and Christians') constant "stand against the normal"! As Christians, "How can we be silent when a fire burns inside us?" "Million Voices" testifies to the impact strong Christians can have on those around them.

Four listens, and I already know this song is going to haunt me…

As of this writing, "Million Voices" was a sample listed on BarlowGirl's MySpace page.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment