Thursday

"Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne from The Best D–– Thing

Okay, I admit, I edited the album title, but I'm not about to write out damn in that sort of context, or in any of the contexts that she says or refers to Hell in this song. Some have described the album as "bratty." If the single "Girlfriend" is indicative of the rest of the album, I have to agree with that assessment.

The gal doesn't like some guy's girlfriend and insists he needs "a new one": her. How much more shallow can you (or he) get? Some people have said they like this attitude 'cause the girl knows what she wants and is willing to go get it. I guess that's their perogative if they want to be selfish idiots who aren't interested in anything but what's in it for them. It still makes me want to yell "Grow up!" at those of my generation or a few years younger who live for that.

The selfish attitude in the song would be bad enough as a song premise, but there's more. The cursing I've already mentioned. "Girlfriend" is also horrendously repetitive. "Hey (hey) you (you)" comes every other line in the chorus.

Avril Lavigne has a nice voice for her music style (pop rock), but she destroyed her natural skill with a horrible song and attitude. I understand she writes her own songs. If that's so, I don't think I even want to buy one of her good songs; why add to her already oversized ego?

The music video for this single is pertinent to the song and "cool" on a teenage fun level. On a more meaningful level, watching her dance around in a short shorts, a T-shirt and fishnet stockings while making a fool of the girlfriend while she's stealing the guy only personifies a bratty attitude. Evidently, her unabashed definition of fun is what some people term a "good roll."


Lyrics: *1/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: *4/10

*The song curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment