Thursday

"Never Alone" by BarlowGirl from Barlow Girl

Wow! A contemporary Christian song of high quality! Since I first bothered to listen to BarlowGirl, I've kicked myself for avoiding this band for so long. (I'd feared they'd only gotten their popularity from the Superchick song that spoke of them.)

BarlowGirl is a better band than Superchick, whose overall nice music can have individual points that are annoying (though their lyrics are often excellent). The standard pop rock beat element isn't alone in the song "Never Alone"; at least one other well-written element underlines the main music.

Ooo, and does that piano make me wish I could play! It compliments the singing superbly. All three Barlow sisters play the instruments and sing. One sings the lead with her lovely voice, well-accented by her sisters. (I can't seem to find consistent reports of which one of them is the lead singer.) Their other album, Another Journal Entry, has an acoustic version of this song that evidently brings the piano bit to the forefront.

The slower tempo encourages a thoughtful consideration of the painful situation without spiking the listener's pulse through the roof. Though definitely a group catering to female Christian youth, it's still great lyrics for serious spiritual questions and practical spiritual application. More than their primary intended audience will enjoy them.

"Never Alone" flaunts the face of the touchy-feely songs so common in modern Christian music. "I cried out with no reply, and I can't feel You by my side, so I'll hold tight to what I know: You're here, and I'm never alone." This chorus may be a monster of a sentence, but it perfectly captures its image of loneliness. God's still there even when we don't feel Him.

This song breaks from the usual mould of Christian music being mediocre at best. The girls currently offer a sample listen to the regular version of the song on PureVolume.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment