Monday

"Memories" by UnSun from The End Of Life

If you've followed this blog, you probably read my review of "The Last Tears" by UnSun, which mentioned that I've immediately bought two albums of UnSun's after hearing one song from the album. "The Last Tears" was that song from the second album. "Memories" was the winner from the first album.

"Memories" reminds me of "Eva" by Nightwish. (Excuse me while I dodge rotten tomatoes from Nightwish fans for daring the comparison.) That's not to say they sound alike—"Memories" emphasizes the piano, while "Eva" is orchestral.

But "Memories" is a ballad that adds gentle electric guitar in the song's bridge. Like "Eva". Thus the comparison. It could also be compared to Evanescence's "My Immortal" at a faster tempo. (Mind those rotten apples, please. I'm a mite afraid of worms due to a poor reading choice as a child.) It's pretty and well-blended, though not astounding.

The singer, Annelyse "Aya" Stefanowicz, isn't a fantastic, but she isn't bad. Her consistent accent is hard to understand in a lot of cases, and it's worsened by the song evidently having some lines that are victims of translation. ("I have the spell on the merciless time"?)

Overall, the song is evidently about someone who's trying to escape memories, "never looking back", but who's still haunted by those memories at night. The song narrator pleads with her partner to "save me please from my fears".

I'm reminded of that saying, "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you." My first schoolteacher harassed me with that one, as a kid. I suspect a bully invented it. Words do hurt, even if you know your ex was a dog who belittled you constantly for no reason, or Momma was a drunk who treated everyone like dirt. (Just to come up with some extreme examples of hurting words; I've fortunately not experienced either.)

The song's narrator knows she can't stay in the memories, but they haunt her anyway. "The pain and grief" doesn't seem to be lessening with time—and, frankly, it doesn't always.

I think that's much of what drew me to this song. The song narrator is depressed and fighting it. Hurrah for her!

Overall, worth a listen if you like ballads with that touch of electric guitar. If you can't stand the electric guitar (or accented singers), avoid.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 3/5
Overall: 7/10

Check out "Memories" on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment