Monday

"I Am Only One" by We Are The Fallen from Tear The World Down

Violin-piano ballad! [insert writer squealing]

A-hem. Anyway, if you've followed my review of "Sleep Well, My Angel", you already know the story behind We Are The Fallen, but quick recap if not: 3 of Evanescence's 4 original members grouped together to find another singer and start a new band. Some say they're Evanescence wannabes; I call it a resurrection.

Now, We Are The Fallen is not Evanescence, though "I Am The Only One" could be called the "Hello" of this album. American Idol contestant Carly Smithson sings with powerful vocals, with fewer overlaps than Evanescence's Amy Lee tends to use.

Carly sings perfectly to fit what she's singing. She tends to echo herself a bit in the chorus, but it just adds to the emotion.

And this song is definitely packed with emotion. "There's no one left to be the hero." "Ever after never came"—"I am only one!" The poor narrator has waited for her happily ever after, but all her hopes and dreams have died with time, leaving her nothing to allay the pain and loneliness.

Depending on how you read the lyrics ("I bleed this empty heart of all that longs to die" and "my heart will die alone"), the narrator may be committing suicide, or she may be slaughtering her dreams, because "hope's last breath" is described, too.

The music, as I commented, is mostly soft violin and piano. There's a touch of synthesizing in it. It's well put-together, used exactly for emphasis of the emotion of Carly's voice and the lyrics. We Are The Fallen even did a live acoustic version, and the guitar on that fits perfectly, as well.

Overall, it's a lovely song if you like ballads and don't mind the possible suicide taking place in it.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 9/10

Check out "I Am Only One" on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment