Monday

"Dark As Love" by Luscious Redhead

Okay, this song technically hasn't come out yet. I found it in the new CBS series Moonlight (the everyday drama with a vampire PI leaves me bouncing in my seat like no TV show has since I was twelve and watching Star Trek: DS9—and I don't own a TV). Specifically it's the song in the episode "12:04 am" (the one with the cult leader), when the heroine, Beth, walks in to the vampire's office and finds the file cabinet. And that's all I'll say about that in case you've not seen it.

But because this song isn't really out yet, I can't exactly find much history on it. From what I understand, the song was written by Melissa Ritter and Doug DeAngelis, but performed by Luscious Redhead, who might actually be Melissa Ritter. (I'll update this when more info comes clear.)

Anyway, it's a slow, "wet" (echoing) sound, kinda like Enigma's "Gravity of Love." Though the vocals for this song aren't the best, they're well-complimented by the music, particularly the lovely piano that peeks in. From the start with "She… came down… down… down… from heaven…" the song soothes even while some people might find it a tad dark.

I can't find a copy of the lyrics, but from listening to the song, it sounds clean. Something about a dark woman coming down from heaven and hypnotizing everyone with her beauty, possibly referencing a dangerous woman with a gorgeous façade. The repetitive chorus consists of "dark as love" and something about shadows several times. It also mentions something about angels falling. Suffice to say that I don't quite get it.

While I don't find it a jaw-dropping wonder, "Dark As Love" certainly has an enticing sound (particularly in tandem with the scene from Moonlight). It may draw you back, it may not. In the least, it's well-mixed.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 3/5
Overall: 7/10

9 comments:

  1. Do you know where I can get an mp3? PJHARVEY13@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe there is a way to get an MP3 download of "Dark As Love" yet, since it's still unreleased.

    From my research, I think there's a CD being worked on that will have that song on it. If you keep an eye on the Imeem page, the "download" link should take you to the iTunes or Amazon location to buy it once it's officially released. (Assuming it's released on either of those sites.)

    Other than that, you'll just have to patient, I guess. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

    Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was also on Species the Awakening

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually this song was used in the movie Species IV which came out in 2007. Moonlight was way after haha. Also there are quite a few songs that are used in movies or TV shows that aren't published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of that movie. I'll look it up. :-)

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, new to the site, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting! You're enjoying the site, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JUST TO SHARE - sorry I'm late on this. I got by Relp Me on YouTube. I have 2 versions of Dark As Love on YouTube. I may upload 2 more versions. Depends on how I feel and if Melissa Ritter aka Luscious Redhead doesn't choke me !!!! LOOK FOR MY CHANNEL - Thank You

    ReplyDelete