Monday

"Unfinished Memories" by Eowyn from Silent Screams

"I saw you yesterday… I didn't know that it would be the last time" sums up the story of the ballad "Unfinished Memories" by the Christian metal artist Eowyn.

Eowyn's new-ish to the Christian metal scene, since her first album came out in 2006. Her voice reminds the listener of Plumb and even of Pat Benatar and Evanescence's Amy Lee. I'm not the only one to make those comparisons, either.

So Eowyn has good vocals. She overdoes some of the techniques that work better as accents than frequent components of lines, burying her natural voice, which is nice. When you can hear it. But Eowyn is definitely recognizable as a singer.

The song's music is of comparable quality. It begins with a pretty quick piano for this metal ballad, flows into some slower piano that fits the song, adds some string instrumentation—and if you've followed this blog for awhile, you know that I love strings!—and tops it off with a languid industrial beat that sounds best when you have the music louder than is healthy for your hearing.

Excuse me a minute while my ears recover.

Now, the lyrics of the song are great encouragement for a Christian who's had a fellow believer die. Eowyn reminds that "It's too late for now[ to say all those "things we meant to say"], but not always". As someone who had a paster go into a coma he later died from the very day she last spoke to him, I find the song particularly fitting.

However, when we reach Heaven, I'm pretty sure that we'll be more interested in singing God's praises than renewing old acquaintances. Just a theological comment. Considering all the Heaven scenes in the Bible involve folks giving praise to God.

Overall, though, it's a pretty song, good for Christian metal (which tends to be… of debatable quality), which is particularly encouraging when you've had someone die recently. I recommend it for fellow Christians.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 8/10

P.S. Robin: Please let me know what you think; I suspect you'll like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment