Saturday

"Open the Records" by Ballydowse from Out Of The Fertile Crescent

I still remember reading, some years back, the story of Ballydowse's attempt to attract a record label. Pretty much, when the company asked for a description of the music, Ballydowse started listing their influences—and were promptly tossed out and called insane.

What's so odd about the band? Well, their music is celtic-punk rock with aborigine influences. Or was, I should say. They disbanded in 2003.

The music is definitely difficult to classify. It's harsh on the ears (from the punk) while oddly melodic (from the celtic), with some odd sounds from the aborigine instruments. The closest thing I can compare it to is Green Day. It's… interesting, to say the least.

I think the vocals might've been what killed the band. They don't make you want to scream and run, but they don't exactly make you sigh happily and enjoy the experience. I don't think it's a vocal style issue; I'm not sure they're even singing properly. (Actually, the sound reminds me of my mother's singing. She always tries to sing the notes she hears—soprano—but she can't leave the alto range.) That description sounds worse than the reality.

As an added mark against Ballydowse (to the record labels, anyway), their lyrics tend to be political critiques. "Open the Records" is no exception, referring to Guatamala's mistreatment of indigenous tribes. Guatamala has buried the records of the situation; the song is a plea to "open the records" and face up to what was done. From what little is known of it, it involved forced relocation by foot comparable to the Trail of Tears that the USA inflicted on the Cherokee and other tribes.

The chorus talks about how the records need to be opened, the mark on the Mayan people needs to be examined, so people can learn from their mistakes and keep such oppression from continuing. "Behold the marks upon her Mayan daughter" is probably the best part of the song, and it resonates with you. I didn't listen to the song for 2-3 years, and still found myself suddenly remembering that bit one day and adding this song to the review list.

Overall, if you're curious about different music styles, I suggest you check it out. It does grow on you. But if you're picky in what types of music you like, you probably want to leave this one alone.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 2/5
Overall: 5/10

7 comments:

  1. Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both of ya'll. I'm glad you like the site, and please feel free to suggest a song/artist for me to look into if you have something specific you'd like me to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Useful blog website, keep me personally through searching it, I am seriously interested to find out another recommendation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete