Thursday

"Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield from Unwritten

"Today is when your book begins—the rest is still unwritten…"

After glancing through some random CD reviews, a comment about this artist caught my eye, so I looked her up to listen to her music. A pleasant surprise resulted.

This third single from British Natasha Bedingfield's album Unwritten achieved the best radio play in my native U.S., which is why I recognize it. The music is an interesting R&B-influenced pop rock. It's pretty much acoustic guitar with a beat added.

That interesting music mix isn't the only thing that's made Ms. Bedingfield popular. Her pop voice beats other popular voices of her slightly-breathy vocal style. It's not my favorite type of vocals, but it fits the music pretty well.

As her own songwriter, Natasha Bedingfield reveals a greater maturity than many other singers. (Considering she's some years older than me, I'm relieved at that.) Her point in "Unwritten" is that people are responsible to "write" their own lives; others can't live their lives for them. It's an encouragement to live as yourself, while realizing that you'll likely "make mistakes" on the way. But your writing continues nonetheless…

Christians must bear in mind that if we "break tradition" or are "outside the lines", those traditions or lines should be man's, not God's laws. But there's nothing wrong with breaking man's tradition. Indeed, Christians should break man's tradition when it conflicts with God's Word.

The music video for this song is a bit interesting, too. A book with a singing Natalie Bedingfield on the cover starts climbing through the library. What interests me most about it is her choice of clothing: the "worst' any of it gets is a speghetti strap dress with a V-neck of standard dip (low enough that I wouldn't wear it, but I know others who would). Evidently she refuses to wear anything for her music that she wouldn't wear in normal life.

A mature outlook, decent music, and clothes that don't hang out all over the place. I think I'll check out more songs from this artist.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment