Tuesday

"Numb" by Linkin Park from Meteora

Sweet lead voice! That's what I think when I hear the first verse. Usually, I can't stand screaming, but evidently from "Numb," yelling doesn't necessarily bother me in the same way. The way it's done and the choice of its location in this song (mostly) fit it really well. The narrator's frustration boils over into the mostly-yelling portions. Even then, I think it's more of an expression of frustration than anger.

Any topic will have a lot of songs on it. "Numb"s topic, being trampled by another's expectations, is no exception. Nonetheless, Linkin Park manages it well, with intense frustration fully expressed without a single curse. (Not all of their songs are as clean, evidently, so watch out if looking them up.)

Yes, the narrator's probably angry at a parent, but he's more frustrated and breaking under the pressure rather than outright rebelling. He's tried to obey, but "Every step that I take is another mistake to you." After so long of the other "holding too tightly afraid to lose control," "I'm tired of being what you want me to be… feeling so faithless, lost under the surface." It's not that he doesn't want to please his parent, but he can't. After years of pressure, he's "become so numb," "become so tired" that he's "so much more aware" of all the wrongful pressure and can't politely ignore it anymore.

Moreover, it's not merely a rejection of the parent because the singer is oh-so-smarter. The narrator knows he will likely make mistakes. He also knows his parent was "just like me with someone disappointed in you." Okay, a little of the rhyme is off, but as that's consistent it's likely intentional.

On a music level, it's the hard rock with hip-hop overtones that some call Nu-metal. It's not a mere beat accented by voices; there's more to the music than many bands have. Rather than the normal distinct vocals, drums, and maybe a background if you listen closely, the drums are really an integral part to the rest of the background. And the acoustic version is beautiful.

Hey, I can like something that's not gothic rock, you know. …Actually, considering this song's genre, it's a bit shocking that I like it at all. This style of music sounds suspiciously like my brother's preference, which usually sends me screaming out the door. (Fine, groaning loudly in protest.)

Still, if you can't stand hard rock whatsoever, I suggest you at least read the lyrics if not look up the acoustic version. Parents aren't the only ones who can catch someone "in the undertow" from "holding too tightly." As someone who had a high school drive me into poor health, I know from experience what it's like to "become so numb" that you don't care anymore. Though I love learning, all I care about now in school anymore is keeping my scholarships to get my degree to be done with this. And those people who destroyed school's fun for me weren't even my parents.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment