Monday

"Neptune" by SJ "Sooj" Tucker from Mischief

I've realized that all my favorite music genres are ones I usually have to explain to whoever I mention them to. Not because I have to explain them, mind you, but gothic, symphonic, and filk genres aren't exactly mainstream here in the US of A. If you say gothic, folks will probably assume they know what you're talking about; but Evanescence isn't gothic, just have some gothic influence.

Not that SJ "Sooj" Tucker seems to identify herself as a filk singer, but she associates with singers who do, and she fits my personal definition of filk: speculative fiction folk music. "Neptune" is a remarkable example, because it uses the fantasy as an analogy and to shape the music.

The narrator of "Neptune" has buried her own dreams and self beneath her lover's will, and she's realized she's drowning beneath her "Neptune" (Roman sea god) and is forcing herself to escape. It hurts like the dickens now, but she knows "there's no light" where she is. "Someday, they will ask [her]" about her old "lord of the deep", and she'll be able to admit "she knew him once", probably with a shrug.

Sooj also says that "All of us who dare to love are brave," I think because to love is to risk drowning in your own Neptune.

To go along with the Neptune theme, the music has the sounds of ocean waves and whalesong in it (that were actually produced through happy accidents that happened while recording, per the singer's blog). The music itself even ebbs and flows in tempo and sound, intentionally by feel and not any set tempo. The song uses all sorts of uncommon percussion instruments, as well as the guitar and cello (which I know are strings).

Sooj's voice reminds me of Carly Smithson of We Are the Fallen, but that's not quite it. At any rate, Sooj voice is smooth, soothing, and clear, without obvious vibrato. It's pleasant. (Assuming you like female vocalists with that vocal style.) Her voice melds with both the lyrics and the music, never sounding like she was trying too hard or not hard enough.

Overall, I think it's a remarkable song about how even a willingly submissive relationship can go south, that still speaks to listeners who are healing from a painful breakup. I've never had a boyfriend, and I find it touching. (On second thought, it's a good thing I haven't experienced most of the things I enjoy hearing recovery songs about.)

Still, as of this writing, you can meander over to the artist's site for a listen. You should be able to enjoy something about it, even if only that the ocean wave sound came from Sooj lightly running her fingers over a specific instrument.


Lyrics: 5/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment