Wednesday

"Hero" by Skillet from Awake

I've reviewed a few songs by Skillet. I've also been MIA for over two years. (Sorry about that.) Why not pick a song by a band I've already proven to like a lot as my reintroduction to writing song reviews?

The Christian alternative rock band Skillet came out with a new CD, Awake, on August 25, 2009. "Hero" is one of two songs they released as singles in anticipation of that CD, and is my preferred of the two.

The lyrics speak of Jesus Christ as the hero who comes and saves us, even as we struggle with our faith from all the evils in this world. "It's just another war / just another family torn" captures the feeling of hopelessness that can threaten to overwhelm from this dark world.

The lyrics' simplicity and repetition make it one that you probably won't want to listen to time and again on "repeat track" mode, but I suspect it'll draw you back to it every so often. It's intentionally simple and catchy, and despite its few words it captures exactly what it wants to say.

We as humans can't do everything on our own, and sometimes we need help. Skillet doesn't actually name the help, though, so technically the song could be taken to refer to another human rather than God. That interpretation may make "I've got a hero / livin' in me" difficult to apply, though.

Each time I hear this song—or remember it—I'm impressed by the female vocals in the background (on harmony). Various sites call it Jen, but per Skillet's website, it's Korey Cooper who provides backup vocals.

Whichever lady she is, her part has some fun little movements that she pulls off without affecting the flow or strength of her words. She reminds me of Evanescence's Amy Lee and Flyleaf's Lacey Mosley. John, as the primary singer, reminds me mostly of Three Days Grace's Adam Gontier, with some of Seether's Shaun Morgan.

The song's intro has some semblance to Linkin Park's "Papercut" merely in part of the note progression, but it's different instruments, and the songs are different styles. The style of "Hero" reminds me of "Whispers in the Dark" by the same band, "Million Voices" by BarlowGirl, and something else that I'm not quite managing to identify. Something by Flyleaf, perhaps?

At any rate, if you liked Skillet's CD Comatose, BarlowGirl's "Million Voices", Flyleaf, or Three Days Grace, I suspect you'll like this song.

As of this writing, Skillet makes "Hero" available for hearing in its entirety on their MySpace page.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. I think John posted to his Twitter account that the band rehearsed new music for the first time and that they are getting ready for a new album

    ReplyDelete