Monday

"If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback from All the Right Reasons

"If everyone shared and swallowed their pride then we'd see the day when nobody died" sums up this song's message and pinpoints a Christian's hesitation with it. "If Everyone Cared" is the sixth single Nickelback released from its 2005 album All the Right Reasons in the U.S. and the fourth worldwide (with a few exceptions).

In "If Everyone Cared" the Canadian band declares that, if everyone cared enough to band together to help others, they would eliminate world problems, and the music video accents that with the tales it includes of people caring enough to work for betterment, improving others' lives. Apparently funds from the sale of this single go to certain charities like Amnesty International.

My hesitation comes from the assumption that everyone banding together would eliminate world hunger and such. I'd guess that the Nickelback members would claim that man (in the human sense) is basically good. In my worldview of people being innately selfish and sinful and unable to care for others apart from the grace of God, this philosophy doesn't fly so well. Though it could probably be argued that my issue's a matter of thinking the band's humanistic dream impossible.

The song's a standard short pop but softer rock with a nice beginning that doesn't go much of anywhere, musicwise. It sounds… normal. Nothing special, besides the older voice of Chad Kroeger that reminds me of Newsong. (I think of it as "rough"; I'm not sure what the technical term is, musically.)

Despite the short length of "If Everyone Cared", it's extremely repetitive. I grant them kudos for an admirable idea, but I really won't be looking for this song to listen to on my own; not my preferred sound.

The song's currently offered on the band's MySpace page if you want to listen.


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 7/10

2 comments:

  1. For the time being I have to respectfully disagree with your critique of this one song by Nickelback (If Everyone Cared). I think the idea that if...

    everyone loved their neighbor (cared), no one lived in fear, or sadness, or judgement (nobody cried), everyone grew (learned), everyone walked in the truth (nobody lied), and everyone thought more of others than themselves and was humble (everyone shared and swallowed their pride) then, yes, I think we'd see the day when nobody died.

    Since sin brought with it death then if basically no one sinned then yes no one would die. The "of course" of the song is that death enters the world through sin, therefore that's why people die. The song doesn't list those sins as specifically being that which offends God (the artist doesn't call those things "sins") but the fact remains that those things do offend God and are sinful actions that are the result of a sinful nature. As a Christian, I hear the song and label this thesis to it (although perhaps the artist might disagree - I don't know if that matters or not though): "If no one disobeyed God then no one would die." Or to flip it around, "People die because they disobey/rebel against God". Not a bad message. I think if the exact same song had been written by a "Christian" band and played on "Christian" radio it would be a "Christian" hit. If you want to critize the beliefs or actions of an artist that's one thing (beware of plank), but I think the fact remains that the words expressed follow fundamental Christian theology just as much or better than "Christian radio" music does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, benny hauk, for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I greatly appreciate your willingness to speak up and offer your own few cents, despite their difference from mine. :)

    Have an excellent day!

    -'Dee

    ReplyDelete