Tuesday

"Art In Me" by Jars Of Clay from Jars of Clay

"And in your picture book I'm trying hard to see, turning endless pages of this tragedy…" This world can look so heartbreaking on our end. We can plead "see the art in me" seemingly in vain—"critics scorn the thoughts and works of mortal man," but God is everlasting.

Add to that a beautiful meld of strings, oboe, and more that provide Dan Haeltine's voice some of its best accompaniment, and you have a winner song that doesn't seem to get noticed nearly as often as it should.

The lyrics strike me as fragmented, and I'm not sure it's only due my difficulty understanding symbolism. I see the linkage of verse one to the chorus, but verse two seems… random to me. I mean, it's good that it links all this despair to Christ, but I feel like a transition is missing. (Which in itself is strange: I don't usually think in transitions.)

I listen to the song repeatedly just to hear the lovely violins and Dan Haseltine's voice. And how often does the lonely heart plead that someone would "see the art in me"?


Lyrics: 3/5
Music: 5/5
Vocal(s): 5/5
Overall: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment