Monday

"Gomenasai" by t.A.T.u. from Dangerous and Moving

Some songs have lovely parts that hint that the song could've been so much better. "Gomenasai" from t.A.T.u.'s album Dangerous and Moving is one of these, despite the Japanese "I'm sorry" ("gomen nasai" that I know would make some people like it outright.

The music, particularly the piano at the beginning, attracts notice to a pretty ballad. The development from there could have been so much better, but the end result was pretty forgettable for me. The breathy vocals are lovely, but I don't get a sense of them meaning what they're singing. They're just singing.

On the bright side, the lyrics critique the standard self-sufficient independent idea. Relying on herself, she's alienated her friends, and she now sees the problems with her situation. "When I wanted to tell you I made a mistake, I walked away." Now in need of friends, she realizes all she can say is "I'm sorry," "Gomen nasai."

The Russian singers also lack heavy accent while singing; they are highly understandable in the song. Even without looking at a set of lyrics, you can identify what they say, unlike some songs. "Gomenasai" has been one of t.A.T.u.'s top songs since its release on Dangerous and Moving.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 3/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment