Wednesday

"Faceless" by Red from Until We Have Faces

"I'm not, I'm not myself / Feel like I'm someone else / Fallen and faceless…"

Since I came into the song knowing that Red is a Christian band, that line reminds me of Paul's lament in Romans 7:15, "For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate" (ESV).

Overall, the song is an ode to being nothing and no one, for the song's narrator "need[s] you to live again". From the song, there are some lines that are definite references to Christian concepts, but the lyrics can technically refer to anyone that the narrator is dependent on.

If you're okay with that, the lyrics are good. They're a lament about our fallen nature and being stuck in sin, and the vocals augment that. I know I've said it before, but the band reminds me of Breaking Benjamin in sound. The vocals are younger, with the standard sound that's common to metal music, these days. There's some screaming, too, as a well-placed accent.

Which brings us to the overall sound. I got Red's album because, honestly, I think my mother might like it. I listened to the album, and quickly found myself drawn to this song. It's a well put together metal song with some post-grunge influences, and the vocals are just the right volume throughout.

Overall, it's a well put-together Christian metal song. If you like Flyleaf, Skillet, Three Days Grace, or Breaking Benjamin, I'll be surprised if you don't like this.


Lyrics: 4/5
Music: 4/5
Vocal(s): 4/5
Overall: 8/10

Check out "Faceless" on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment